Sunday, February 6, 2011

Homestay Cont.

I love our host family! Each of them is so willing to converse with us, as well as share different parts of their culture. Tebego (our host father) and his family are fairly well off, but they don't have a dishwasher. So, Hillary and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen washing dishes and talking with their daughter, Tswani (which means "right" in Sotho). It's been one of my favorite parts of the stay because she's so open with her opion. Yesterday, we had a braai with our family. A braai is esentially like a bbq, and man can this family eat meat! They refer to themselves as "carnivores"- we had three different types of meat at one meal! A few friends and family came over for the braai that began at 9:30. I really enjoyed talking with one of their cousins, Tsidi. She's a trip! She talked with us the whole night and told us about her clubbing experiences and how she learns her dance moves. Today, we visited Mathapo's (our host mom) church with Tswani. The church service lasted three hours, most everyone was in uniform, and there was SOO much singing! It was really neat- the community there was wonderful. Hillary and I understood about 3 min of the whole service, but we clapped for almost all of it. We also visited various family members after church- it's a big part of the culture to visit family frequently and consistently. We also visited the Soweto towers today, and had dinner later tonight while watching Wizards of Waverly Place with the two younger boys. Yes, the Disney Channel followed us to South Africa! Tomorrow we leave to go back to St. Peter's for a few days. I'm going to miss these guys!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Mel, who knew that Disney would be in South Africa - you did pick the right study abroad.
    But in all seriousness, I am so gald that you are honestly getting to experience the culture of the region from an insider's view.
    Your journies sound so exciting and new - I am in awe and anticipation for your next update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast Mslice! Hope you continue to have lots of adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda!!! It's so great to hear about how SudAfrica is treating you. You have no freaking idea. Also, the homestay family you just stayed with is the same one I stayed with when we were in JoBurg! That's real crazy! I want to hear more about it sometime.

    Melinda I hope you're having a good-ass time. I really, really look forward to hearing more about the whole trip in your blog. No pressure though. I'll be happy with stories when you come back. But if you can keep them coming, please do. And, if you know of anybody else keeping a blog, please let me know! I'd like to know how everybody else is doing!

    Melinda, enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete